Giant Robots, Masked Heroes and the Wonders of Tokusatsu Come to Pluto TV With the March 17 Debut of TOKUSHOUTSU™
Shout! Factory TV Presents the Official U.S. Debut of Japanese Cult Classic Kamen Rider
The imaginative worlds of tokusatsu – the revolutionary Japanese entertainment genre known for its unique special effects and epic battles– will launch on Pluto TV in the U.S. on Tuesday, March 17 at 12 a.m. PT/3 a.m. ET when Shout! Factory TV introduces the new 24/7 linear streaming channel TokuSHOUTsu. Channel 681, in the Tech + Geek section, will launch with the very first episode of the legendary cult classic Kamen Rider.
Completely free to view, the ad-supported TokuSHOUTsu will be home to the U.S. debut of Kamen Rider, beginning with the inaugural 98-episode series from 1971, and with much more to come. TokuSHOUTsu will also launch with Ultraman Leo, as well as Super Sentai, the globally popular series that ultimately led to the Power Rangers phenomenon. TokuSHOUTsu presents tokusatsu content not available on any leading streaming service, curated especially for fans of this widely influential genre.
With original series and content coming in the future, TokuSHOUTsu aims to be the must-watch channel for longtime devotees of tokusatsu, along with the millions of fans of the blockbuster pop culture touchstones inspired by tokusatsu. Fans can follow TokuSHOUTsu social media accounts @TokuSHOUTsu on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Beginning Tuesday, March 17, TokuSHOUTsu will be available through Pluto TV, available on all leading digital streaming devices and services, including Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Google Chromecast and more, as well as major smart TVs and game consoles. As a 24/7 linear channel, fans can tune in to watch curated programming anytime. Additionally, for fans looking to stream content on demand, Kamen Rider, Ultraman Leo and Super Sentai will be available on Pluto TV as well as Shout! Factory TV (www.ShoutFactoryTV.com).
“We’re so proud to launch TokuSHOUTsu as the ultimate destination for fans to watch the best tokusatsu content spanning more than 60 years,” said Gene Pao, Shout! Factory’s senior vice president, digital enterprises. “We know fans have come to appreciate the carefully curated content that Shout! Factory distributes, and we’ve created this channel with the legions of tokusatsu enthusiasts in mind. We’re thrilled to add it to our umbrella of fan-centric streaming options.”
“Kamen Rider is the number one kids’ program in Japan, and is still beloved after all these years,” said Shin-ichiro Shirakura, producer of Kamen Rider. “We are so excited that the show will finally be available for all of our fans in North America.”
Tokusatsu encompasses both kaiju (“mysterious beast”) and kaijin (“mysterious person”), and some of the finest examples of both sub-genres will also be featured on TokuSHOUTsu. Additionally, TokuSHOUTsu will feature original content, including Let’s Talk Toku, a new, original weekly talk show produced by and for tokusatsu fans and hosted by genre expert Squall Charlson.
TokuSHOUTsu’s lineup to include:
- KAMEN RIDER: SEASON 1 – The original Japanese television series follows the exploits of a masked, motorcycle-riding hero who fights the forces of evil.
- ULTRAMAN LEO – The series featuring the survivor of Planet L77 of the Leo constellation, who takes the human form of 20-year-old Gen Ootori.
- SUPER SENTAI –A number of series on which Power Rangers is based, where original color-coded superhero teams battle out-of-this-world villains, their armies, and incredible monsters. The offering includes Chojin Sentai Jetman, Super Sentai Zyuranger, Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Ninja Sentai Kakuranger, Chouriki Sentai Ohranger, Gekisou Sentai Carranger, Denji Sentai Megaranger, Seijuu Sentai Gingaman, Kyuukyuu Sentai Gogofive, Mirai Sentai Timeranger, Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, and Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger.
- LET’S TALK TOKU – A new, original weekly talk show for anyone with an interest in tokusatsu. Hosted by Squall Charlson, and featuring a variety of guest hosts, Let’s Talk Toku gives viewers an inside look into everything toku, including masked superheroes, kaiju monsters, cyborgs, aliens, villains and, of course, the toys.
- BACKLOT – Select episodes from Shout! Factory TV’s original series that grants an inside look at favorite series and films, covering Godzilla, Gamera, Gorgo, Power Rangers and much more.
- LIVE EVENTS – Events and convention stunts such as Power Morphicon livestreams.