Dead Ringers [Collector's Edition]
Product Note: The limited edition poster has sold out.
"**** (Four Stars) An Instant Classic." – Mike Clark, USA TODAY
"This is arguably David Cronenberg's masterpiece." – Combustible Celluloid
Claire Niveau (Geneviève Bujold) is in love with handsome Beverly. Or does she love Elliot? It's uncertain because brothers Beverly and Elliot Mantle are identical twins sharing the same medical practice, apartment and women – including unsuspecting Claire.
In portrayals that won the New York Film Critics Circle Best Actor Award, Jeremy Irons plays twin gynecologists whose emotional dependency collapses into mind games, madness and murder. David Cronenberg (The Fly) won the Los Angeles Film Critics Awards Best Director honors for melding split-screen techniques, body doubles and Iron's uncanny acting into an eerie, fact-based tale.
Why We Love It
"As Shout! Factory’s sub-division of horror and science-fiction films, Scream Factory has become the Criterion Collection for cult classics, providing second-to-none releases of some of my favorite films of all time. Dead Ringers is an absolute must-own for horror fans and the newly initiated who have acquired a taste for Cronenberg through Criterion’s releases of Videodrome, Scanners, and The Brood, desperate for more body horror." – Adam Frazier, Geeks of Doom
Considered a masterpiece by many, Dead Ringers is an effective, slow burn psychological thriller. It feels a little long in the tooth in places, but it contains the memorable performances and imagery typical of even lesser works by Cronenberg. Scream Factory’s Blu-ray release is definitely one that you’ll want to pick up if you’re a fan of the film. On the whole, it’s a fine package and is very much recommended. – Tim Salmons, The Digital Bits
"Shout! Factory has added some strong new features and a pleasing new visual and audio presentation that is arguably superior to the Criterion release. This is a wonderful film and well worth your time." – Joshua Jenkins, ReDVDit!
"It’s a cold film, but not a dispassionate one—sometimes horrifying, always fascinating. It’s another great film from a director who has made a lot of great films." – Patrick Bromley, Daily Dead
Watching Dead Ringers again on Blu-ray allows one to fully appreciate Denise Cronenberg’s stunning costume design and DP Peter Suschitzky’s saturated, crisp cinematography, the two artists working in collusion to create a cold, carefully color-coded fantasy world that feels like an unholy marriage between the clinical and comic book. It’s a perfect movie, both as a purely cinematic experience and a virtual emotional wringer. – Chris Alexander, Comingsoon.net
Bonus Features for Blu-ray
- --- DISC ONE ---
- High-Definition Transfer Of The Film (1.78:1 Aspect Ratio)
- NEW Audio Commentary With Writer William Beard, Author Of The Artist As Monster: The Cinema Of David Cronenberg
- Audio Commentary With Actor Jeremy Irons
- --- DISC TWO ---
- NEW 2K Scan At The Director's Preferred Aspect Ratio (1.66:1)
- NEW Carey's Story – An Interview With Heidi Von Palleske
- NEW Working Artist – An Interview With Stephen Lack
- NEW Connecting Tissues – An Interview With Special Effects Artist Gordon Smith
- NEW Double Vision – An Interview With Director Of Photography Peter Suschitzky
- Vintage interviews With Jeremy Irons, Director/Co-writer David Cronenberg, Producer Marc Boyman And Co-writer Norman Snider
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
- Original Theatrical Trailer